Saturday, November 29, 2008

Flowers for Algernon - Gaining Intelligence



Charlie's operation finds success, and this leads to further struggling within Charlie. He improves in his English skills, discovers things about his co-workers that he wasn't able to notice before, and he also recalls many memories from his past.


Even though these changes may seem happy, Charlie has a hard time dealing with them. I think I would it would be tough for me if I were in his situation, too. Since Charlie is more intelligent, he views things in a completely different way. The jokes and plays that seemed fun before are now insulting to him, since he somewhat figures out that his co-workers are teasing him. He remembers events in his past, and these are painful because they all reflect upon his dumbness. I think Charlie is generally embarrassed to see such bare truths about his own life. To suddenly see things that he used to be blind to would definitely be difficult to handle. I think my life is completely normal right now, being loved and cared by my friends and family. I am satisfied with my schoolwork and outer activities. However, if one day I saw everything differently and saw myself as a mentally retarded person being teased by others, my heart would break.


I think Charlie is going to become overloaded with painful information as he gains more and more intelligence. He is becoming too sensitive about the things people say and how they treat him. Even when they mean nothing bad, he takes it in emotionally and faces outbursts. I guess things ought to be difficult, since this whole experiment is no different from skipping 20 years of life. Charlie's intelligence grew from a 6 year old to an adult. He also forms new feelings of love towards Alice Kinnian, his instructor. However, she insists on keeping the personal feelings away and focus on the experiment. The smarter Charlie gets, the more troubled he is. I guess intelligence isn't always a good thing after all.

No comments: